Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Mother Tree Project - Day 11

f

It was quiet at The Portland Building today, but that was okay because I spent the morning visiting the first period art class at Jefferson High school, which was not quiet. 25+ kids all finger crocheted, and most of them were doing it for the first time. It was fun to see how much we could produce with 25 people in 45 minutes. Of course, the output varied and so did the look of the strands, from tightly gathered to loose chains. I tied each and every one of them onto The Mother Tree.



My two regulars joined me today. Peter sat and crocheted for a few minutes, and Betsy, who comes every Tuesday returned for the third time. I crocheted this green pineapple fiber, pulling a double strand from the center and the outside of the ball. I thought this "skeleton" was beautiful as I neared completion..



I like this quote that Turquoize sent me... she says she'll be coming to crochet with me soon.

"Look at the Earth with crowded growth, new & bursting from their strong roots hidden in the silent, live ground, each seed according to its own kind...Each one knowing what to do, each one demanding its own rights on earth. So artist, you too from the deeps of your soul...let your roots creep forth...gaining strength." (Emily Carr)

No comments:

Post a Comment